Wednesday, September 7, 2011

i can't figure it out

I have yet to figure out how they do house numbers here. Every time I give someone directions, I have to tell them exactly which house is ours instead of just giving them our street and house number because our neighbor's house is the same number (with no differentiation between the two) and there is no number out in front of our house anyway. Funny.

And this morning I went to pick up a friend (Timi) to take her to the hospital for an ultrasound. I knew the street she lived on and which number her house was, but she told me that there were a few with her number and that she would just be waiting outside for me. Good thing. The house numbers went something like: 6, 6A, 6B, 6, 8, 14, 9, 12, 12, 14, 12, 16, 18, 22, 12. She was the third 12 I believe. (And one random odd number in the bunch?!) Funny.

It was an interesting experience taking her for her appointment this morning. I wish I would have brought my camera to take pictures of what the hospital was like. We waited a couple hours for her to actually get her ultrasound. She was given an appointment time, apparently the same time as everyone else. So you sit in this room for hours and wait until your name or number is called. Never seen anything like it. It was a very strange (to me) and long process that ended up taking the entire day.

But it was a great day. Timi and I got to know each other better after spending a few hours in the car (traffic + wrong directions = 3 hours total), and I was glad to be able to hear more about her life and her testimony. Amazing to think that God knows EACH one of us and loves us all, that he knows the number of hairs on our head and every single detail about each of our lives! Not only that, but he desires to have a relationship with us. Wow!

I got choked up at a few points in Timi's testimony as she talked of God's love for her and his continued provision in her life and that of her family now, too. She grew up in Romania (although she is Hungarian), came to know the Lord, ended up running away from home (in essence pretty much kicked out because of her faith, although in the past few years the Lord has really been working in her family's life!), and met her husband at Bible college. They have a little girl and are expecting a little boy around Christmas time! I met Timi at church last year as they organized Sunday School teachers for the church with the Bible college students, but I really didn't know her. But now her husband is the new 5th grade teacher at our school, and they live right up the road from us. So we've gotten to know each other better in the past few weeks, and I am glad that we had so much time together today. :) And added bonus: our kids did remarkably well having to wait for so long! Thank you, Jesus!

No comments: