Parmesan Zucchini Crisps
sliced zucchini or squash
salt & pepper (I skipped this and did a little Italian seasoning instead)
1. Lay out the sliced zucchini, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper, top with Parmesan cheese.
2. Put under the broiler for about 3-5 minutes or until nice and crispy.
(taken from Mindika Moments)
Italian Zucchini Boats:
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 medium white or sweet onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1 1/2 cup mushrooms, diced (I omitted because we detest mushrooms :))
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning (or a combination of parsley, oregano and basil)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 egg, beaten (to keep mixture together)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4-5 medium-sized zucchini
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Heat a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat with enough olive oil to coat the pan (roughly 2 tablespoons). Add diced onion and pepper. Saute a few minutes until they begin to soften. Add garlic. Saute another minute, until fragrant.
3. Add ground turkey. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to break up the turkey and combine with the onion mixture. Cook until meat is browned.
4. Add mushrooms and tomato sauce (or crushed tomatoes). Stir to combine. Add Italian seasoning or spices. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
5. Continue cooking the filling until most of the liquid has evaporated and the mixture has thickened a bit. Once thickened, remove from heat and allow to partially cool.
6. In the meantime, slice each zucchini lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the insides of each zucchini half, leaving a shell that is roughly 1/4 inch thick all the way around. Place zucchini shells in a large baking dish that is filled with 1/4 inch water.
7. Once the filling has cooled, stir in the Parmesan cheese and beaten egg.
8. Scoop the filling into the empty zucchini shells.
9. Carefully place the baking dish into the oven (careful not to spill the water!) and bake for 25-30 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Return to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
I didn't take any pictures because I didn't remember to, but those links are to the recipes themselves that include pictures. But seriously, both are so yummy, easy, and DELICIOUS!