Monday, August 31, 2009

catching up

There is a direct correlation between how badly you want something and how long it takes to get it. When you're a kid you want it to be your birthday or Christmas so badly and it takes eons for it to get here. When you're on the turnpike and have to go the bathroom desperately, of course the next rest stop is 40 miles away. And now, when we would love to have (and need!) the internet, it is taking months (literally, as we started the process back in June and it will be September tomorrow). I still have hope though.

This Saturday it was cloudy, dreary, and rainy all day. AND it was cool. I loved every minute of it. Ahhh...

Had a doctor's appointment today. Little baby girl has a strong and steady heartbeat. Praise the Lord. But I hate going to the doctor. Except when pregnant, I avoid going them at all costs. I know it's not the smartest thing to do, but I come by it naturally. :) Just ask my dad, or my mom for that matter! I hadn't had my gestational diabetes test yet (should have several weeks ago but hadn't for many reasons), and when my doctor asked if I had it done in the US this summer, I wanted to lie and say I had, but I was honest for the sake of the baby's health and said no. My doctor is quite quirky with me. He doesn't always do the same things he does with other women nor does he do things the same way with me. I have no idea why. But it's weird. Anyway, he asked me if I had eaten breakfast and when I said no, he asked why. I told him that I had to get up early for the appointment and didn't have time (sleep over food any day) but that I had a lot to drink. He thought I had to at least have had juice but I assured him only water. So he said, "We go to the lab and do the test now." I was super bummed because I hadn't planned on this, so now I had to drink that nasty drink and kill an hour....with Seth... Yada yada yada. So I told Seth that mom had to drink a yucky drink and then we could walk around for awhile, and my doctor said, "No, we just do the blood sample since you haven't eaten anything and it will be alright." Let's just say that was my favorite gestational diabetes test ever. A couple things of blood and I was free to go. Yippee!

We heard from Gabi! Classes start tomorrow I think, but she was trying to keep busy in the meantime with new friends. They were bowling and figuring out the city. She said it is beautiful and will send pictures. She is really struggling with being homesick, and so I assured her that is normal, especially since this is her first time away from home ever. I told her how I felt that way when we first moved here and that it gets easier, especially when she gets busy with school and other things. It's always most difficult in the beginning. But it gave me a chance to tell her that we are praying for her. :)

Our friend Gabor came over tonight to say goodbye because he leaves for Germany in the morning with the same sort of program that Gabi is doing. I was touched he came to say goodbye. We have some good and kind Hungarian friends!

And that's about it around here. No pictures at the moment. Still no table and chairs. Our once organized clothes piles are a huge mess now. But I am so on top of laundry. Yeah for me! Kevin finished his first week of school at ICSB and his first week of grad school. The latter is not going so well, and I am very frustrated for Kevin's sake. But I best not say anything other than that because it wouldn't be very Christ like. So you can just say a prayer for him! And that the school would follow through on its word...

1 comment:

The Langs said...

Hey Kristen, so glad to hear laundry is at least going well, and how lucky you didn't have to drink the nasty stuff:)
Would you guys like to come over for dinner one night soon? It would be good to hang out.
Praying for internet and school....