Wednesday, July 23, 2008

way to go

Sometimes I read the most interesting and thought provoking things that I usually don't share, but tonight, I have to share what I read...

"Long term, Americans may have no choice but to spend less, save more and reduce debts -- in short, to live within their means."

One of the top news stories on the internet wrapped up the article on the problems that the US economy is having by saying that. I am so impressed with that knowledge. Now I know what I can be doing! Way to go. I thought that was common sense. (I know there are extenuating circumstances all the time, and I'm not talking about those situations.)

Living within your means seems to be a struggle for so many people, and it seems to be getting more difficult with each generation younger. I remember talking about this with my grandparents and my parents at various times. The things that people around my age today expect and think they "deserve" is far more than what my parents had, which was also far more than my grandparents had.

One of the biggest blessings in living over here is that materialism seems to be less. I have stated that before, but even that has come a long way in the last 10 years. They call all of these changes "westernization." Perhaps for me it seems to be less because we don't have television, we don't get magazines, we don't go out shopping, and we don't see ads for things everywhere. (Of course there are ads on everything from buildings, to cars, to buses, to billboards, but I can't understand it so I don't pay attention.) Not being presented with the constant bombardment of these beautiful things that would make my home so much nicer or my wardrobe so much more "hip" (read trendy, because I certainly don't need any more help from clothes for my hips to look any bigger) is refreshing and freeing.

I had written a whole ton more about my thoughts on this, but in fear of stepping on too many people's toes, I decided not to post it. I don't want to get on my soapbox once again.

But I wonder... Is this just an American problem or one all over the world? Is it one that seems to creep into a culture as it becomes more "westernized" or does it happen everywhere, regardless?

1 comment:

Julie said...

I know it is definitely here... our students struggle with it all the time. Debt here is getting HUGE because now they can get credit. It is really getting bad. I think it is good for us living overseas because WE (not the culture, because they do) don't get as wrapped up into it. I think if Walmart or Target came, I would be spending more money though!