Sunday, September 16, 2007

vajta

We're back from our retreat this weekend. Although it was nice to get away and spend time with the staff of the school, I honestly feel more tired than rested. I guess that's how those things usually go. I did get to know some other people that I ordinarily wouldn't get to talk to, so that was nice. I especially enjoyed chatting in the car with the McLemore's! We also stopped at McDonald's on the way home, which was a real treat. I can count on one hand how many times I've been to McDonald's in the last 6 months, and now that's all I want. Perhaps it's because it's comfort...I know what I'm getting and it tastes the same here as it does back at home. I don't know, but those fries hit the spot!


Finally a picture of us! We're sitting in front of the main building where our retreat was this weekend. A little history on the place... It was owned by one of the wealthiest families in Hungary decades ago before any of the world wars. When WWII came, the Nazis took it over and used it as part of their headquarters, or something along those lines. It was then turned into a hospital/children's home. Now it is a Bible college in affiliation with a church in Budapest. I totally got the feeling while walking around there of war era. I could just see and feel it. So neat! Oh, and for perspective, you need to know that the bottom of the windows were at about my shoulder, even the door handles were about there. Such tall ceilings with beautiful molding and wood floors, much like most buildings in Europe. And also, buildings here have a distinct smell. They don't really smell like anything, just not like anything I know back home. My mind associates the smell as being the smell of "Europe" because it all smells the same over here. Maybe I'm just weird...

This is where our retreat was this weekend. It is about an hour and a half south of Budapest, and I got the pleasure of experiencing some crazy drivers. You'd think that growing up in the suburbs of Chicago that nothing could or would surprise me... wrong! These drivers are insane, passing four cars at a time while a car is coming from the other direction and while going down a hill and around a curve. Although I wasn't too worried, I know that there were a few close calls where I thought that I might just die.

Whittington and Pam... My new best friends who have helped me with everything since we moved here a month ago. Can you believe it's already been a month?!

1 comment:

Stefanie Schocke said...

You don't even look pregnant! Skinny! :)