Monday, September 17, 2007

translation

Life is all about understanding the things around you... understanding the sounds, the sights, the smells. And when you can't do that, it just makes for an interesting time.

We had our elementary open house last week. Here's a breakdown of my class:
6 Americans (2 missionary, 2 Embassy, 2 business)
1 Hungarian
1 Bulgarian
1 Korean
1 Chinese

Three parents didn't show, two of those being American and one not. I also had three people there to translate for the three others who are not native English speakers. Praise the Lord! Then I had a translator there today to talk to the other non-English speaking parent who couldn't make it to open house. Again, praise the Lord!

Because here's how it goes without a translator:
I say, "Do you understand what I am saying?"
They respond, "Yes, yes, uh huh, uh huh."
I've learned that's a sure fire sign that they have no idea what I just said. And then they continue to ask the same thing over again that I just answered, further proving that they did not understand anything I said.

Understanding one another is key to partnering with a parent in the education of their child, but when neither one of you understands what the other one is saying, well, that makes for interesting conversation, or lack thereof.

No comments: