Monday, September 14, 2009

weekend retreat

We are now back at home and still without internet. I feel that one part of living over here means that I just go with the flow. There is little to no use of getting upset over most things because most things are outside of my control. Plus, getting upset doesn't help matters as things still don't get done just because I am upset. Big personality shift for me who likes to control and has many times gotten things done because of my talking to people who can get things done (don't even get me started on the Verizon episode of 2004). So I just complain about it on the blog and continue to pay monthly for a Vonage line that we cannot use because it has been months of trying to set up the internet with no results. But one day...

It's obviously been a busy week with no blogging. Had a fun time babysitting Hollowell's last week and then went on the ICSB staff retreat this weekend to the spa hotel Kehida near Lake Balaton. It's free for staff but spouses have to pay. I didn't go last year, and Kevin thought it would be good for me to go and get away. So we packed up the McLemore's van and hitched a ride with them. I had to laugh because two years ago, it was the two of them, the two of us, and Whittington in their car with all suitcases fitting in the trunk no problem. This time it was the three of them (with Thomas) and the three of us (with Seth) in their van, and we could barely fit with all the luggage. Like they say, "having a baby changes everything." :)

On the way home, we stopped at a nearby town and spent the afternoon on the Lake, walking around and enjoying some great pizza (great for Hungary).

All these swans were out on the lake...so pretty!
Group of accordian players going to a little festival. Never seen so many accordian players in one place before.

Old man fishing on the lake. That sweet look on his face is when he was talking to Seth.

I was glad I went, despite not being sure how to pay for it because we definitely didn't have the money in this month's budget for anything like that. Kevin said not to worry about it, like he knew I would for quite some time. And then the day we left, we unexpectedly were given the exact amount I needed to go. I realize that in the big scheme of life that getting to go to this retreat was not a big deal, but the Lord still provided for me to go. We've seen God provide for a lot of those little details recently, but we still have some pretty big ones we are trusting him with. I am trying to rest in this:

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Phillipians 4:6-7
I am not good at resting and simultaneously not being anxious.

I had such a nice time hanging out with other people and getting to know some of the new people. It was great to have a free night where the dads were "in charge" of the kiddos and we moms and other women just got to hang out. But I am glad to be home. Seth is glad to be in his own bed. Sleep is good in your own bed. And Seth is back to sleeping in. Whenever we have to share a room, he always wakes up much earlier and doesn't sleep as peacefully. I don't think any of us do. He was waking up two hours early, and that doesn't make for a happy kid after a week of doing that. It's good to be home.

Seth thoroughly enjoyed the pools this weekend at the retreat. That kid loves the water, so it was an unhappy scene when we had to leave. Part of his coping with things since the summer has been him having to say "buh-bye" to everything. Maybe it's because we were in so many different places with so many different people this summer. Maybe because we kept telling him to say goodbye to people. Maybe it's because he had no idea where he was going to next or if he was ever going to see his things and just have mom and dad to himself. Not sure of the reason, but he does a pretty good job of transitioning or not getting his own way so long as he can say bye to whatever thing or person that is. It's weird, but it works.

"Buh-bye juice" when he wants juice and Mom says, "No, only water."
"Buh-bye water" when he wants to swim and Dad says, "No more water, it's time to eat."
"Buh-bye ping pong ball" when he wants to play in the garage all day and it's time to come in.
"Buh-bye wheat" when he wants more shredded wheat but it's all gone.

You get the point. :)

It just started to rain, and it sounds so nice. I am grateful for the cooler temperatures right now, too!

1 comment:

Doug said...

I'm glad you were able to get away! Love, Dad