Wednesday, January 20, 2010

a momentary break to blog

My heart has been aching for the people of Haiti. I sobbed last week as I watched videos and heard parents talk about their children being hungry and heard of all of the orphans, when there were already so many. I would have cried at that even before having my own children, but now it's worse. I just imagine it being me with hungry children or what would Seth or Kate do if that happened to us. I can't imagine. I am grateful that the world seems to be stepping up to help. I have been praying for safety for all involved. I have been praying that despite the desperation, the starvation, the hurt, the fear, and everything else, that the people would have patience so that the supplies could be given to them without violence being necessary. I can't imagine what I would do in that situation. My heart hurts though.

Totally changing subjects so that I don't start crying now...

I am slowly working on Kate's room. It's a work in progress and will be for quite awhile. That's okay. Part of the fun for me is shopping and looking for bargains. I love to find something that works, especially when it is unexpected. I love to see the room just come together over time. And I am trying to do it without spending much money. So far, so good: $28. Seriously, that's all I have spent on everything in her room. We have had other people buy or give us things, or I have used things we already had that weren't originally purchased for her but I recycled it for her use. But that is all the money we have spent on buying things for her room. I think that's pretty good!

I want to take pictures to show you parts of it right now, but it's dark so I can't. Our digital camera broke shortly after we moved here in 2007, and so we have to use our video camera to take pictures. The pictures aren't great quality, but it works. There's no flash, though, so taking pictures at night just doesn't work well as you can imagine. But hopefully I will be able to take some in the upcoming weeks as things get a little more finished in her room. One major thing is getting Seth a new bed so that he can get out of the crib and give it to her. We found a cheap bed frame and mattress last weekend, so we hope to be able to get some help and get that.

Now I am thinking of a million things I could ramble on about because I hardly ever blog. I miss having evenings to myself. I know that sounds selfish, and well, it is. But I am being honest in saying that I look forward to having time to myself again one day. I need to go and get back to the things I have to do and should be doing now. But two pics before I go...


2 comments:

Jenny said...

Look how long Seth's eyelashes are! You have beautiful children Kris.
Miss ya!

Stefanie Schocke said...

Love the pictures. Can't wait to see pictures from her room!!!